Friday, March 8, 2013

Article Attack!

NOTE:  I was very blunt in my response on abortion. Sorry if I offended anybody :)

The first article I commented on was about abortion:
Idaho becomes first state to have so-called fetal pain abortion ban overturned by the courts

Here is my post:

feel that abortion should only be used or even considered in situations in which the mother was not responsible for conception, such as instances of rape or incest.  I also feel that a situation that compromises the life of the mother is a cause for abortion.  However, I do feel that it is not right or responsible for a mother to have an abortion when that mother chose to engage in sexual activity.  If a woman does not desire a child, or even desires one but is not able to support that child, that mother should have the responsibility to either abstain from sex or use birth control.  If a mother is not able to care for or provide a home for that child, having that child in the first place is extremely irresponsible.  I believe that if a woman was to engage in sexual activity and have an unwanted child, then she has a responsibility to care for the child that she chose to create and provide a home for that child.  I believe that any unmarried woman should abstain from sexual intercourse, especially teenage girls.  These people generally do not have the capability to care for a child.  I do not believe in restriction of freedom, but only in defending responsibility.
While I do believe these things from a religious standpoint, I also see these responsibilities for creating life as a moral and societal obligation.


The second one was on gun control in South Dakota Schools:  

Here is my post:
I am against gun control, but I do have some feelings against guns in classrooms.  While I do think that there should be an armed guard (thoroughly trained and tested), I think having teachers with guns could potentially be dangerous.  I do think it is the right of these people to carry guns, but I think they should not be able to carry guns in classrooms unless they have had extensive FBI background check. I agree with some gun control advocates that those who purchase guns should be given a mental health test. 
                I think teachers should choose not to carry weapons in classrooms, but I also believe it their constitutional right to bear arms. I do, however, think that all schools should have an armed faculty member (trained in security or law enforcement) ready to defend the children at that school at all times.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you're very specific in what you agree with. you also add more to the topic by not just pointing out what you do and don't agree with, but you talk about things beyond the text, or things that might be able to be a kind of compromise, instead of just "white and black". Your position is very clear in both comments, and was represented well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such a hard topic to argue for but you did a fantastic job. Not only are there religious reasons, but there are also logical reasons that non-religious people can relate to and understand. So I think it's important to see all sides of the argument and you totally did! You make logical arguments and if I were just reading this without knowing who wrote it, I'd think you were an adult from your mature paradigm. Intelligent and convincing. Good job Andrew!

    ReplyDelete